Sunday, February 12, 2017

Presidents' Day and a FREEBIE or two!

I love teaching the kindergartners about our Founding Fathers. Each year we learn to sing all of the presidents' names to the tune of Yankee Doodle. I have been doing this for 28 years so every four years or so I have to update the bookmark I give to the kinders so they can practice their song at home. There is a link at the end of this post where you can download the bookmark. I created a slide to put on the Smart board for kinders to follow along with when we sing the song in class. Click on the caption below the picture to get your free copy!




In addition to reading some terrific books about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln I created some literacy and math centers to help the kinders practice their letters, sounds, spelling CVC and CVCe words as well as counting.
Here's a preview of the President's Day Super Centers that I have listed in my TpT store:


I found some star shaped mini erasers at Target back in July and decided to use them in the President's Day Super Centers. For fine motor strengthening I picked up some Theraputty off of Amazon. I plan to use it each month by just switching out the small objects that I place inside of each tub of putty. I placed several erasers in each tub and supplied a graphing mat for the kinders to find and graph all of the erasers. This one has been a huge hit with everyone!


I used a Sharpie pen to label 36 star shaped mini erasers to go along with the CVC mats. I placed these in a tub of rice and supplied some Joyce Chen chop sticks to pick out the erasers. If you can't find the mini erasers then you can always use the star cards that are included with President's Day Super Centers.


Write the Room is always a favorite with the kinders. They love looking around for the cards. I have included recording sheets for counting objects, ten frames 0-10 and 10-20.




There are also differentiated CVC and CVCe Write the Room cards and recording sheets. Here are a few samples of what you will find in the President's Day Super Centers.




You get 41 pages of great centers to use for President's Day! You just print, laminate and go! But...before you go check out another fine motor FREEBIE!
 This is my Star Studded President's Day Pokey Pin packet. All you need are some push pins, pink erasers for storing your push pins and the copies of the President's Day Pokey Pin pages. You can have the students work on your carpet or supply them with fun foam pieces to work on. I typically dull down the push pins on the concrete to make them a bit safer. :) 



Click on the words to access the President's Day Bookmark FREEBIE 











No comments:

Post a Comment