Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Easy-Peasy Up-cycled Mystery Boxes

This past weekend I made four mystery boxes 
from empty Oxyclean tubs.

 I started out with clean Oxyclean tubs with the top edge taped off. I used clear contact paper because that was what I had on hand.


Spray paint the tubs with Krylon spray paint. It sticks to plastic and dries in about 12 minutes.


I made a paper template of the two sizes I needed and then I cut the fabric for the lids and the insides of the tubs. I used flannel-backed table cloth that I purchased at Walmart last year to use as seat covers and shelf curtains.
 To soften the sound of objects inside the bucket I chose to use sticky-back felt.  


I used a clean empty can to cut the circles in the top of the lids. First, I set the can directly on my flat-top stove burner (which was on HI) until it was extremely hot. I pressed it into the lid that was resting on a cutting board. I would reheat the can each time.


I hot glued the fabric to the lids and cut X's in the center of each opening.

I peeled the tape off of the tubs to reveal the white edge. I felt that was a nice contrast to the black bottom of the tubs. I used my Cricut to cut abc's and 123's for the outsides of the tubs. Now they are ready to be filled with magnetic letters and numbers or cards for centers.








No comments:

Post a Comment